Memorial Day is approaching fast! While big community cookouts aren’t a current possibility, you can still show your holiday spirit with your family at home. From DIY crafts with your kids to decorating your home, there are a number of ways to celebrate the holiday at home.
When it comes to celebrating America and Memorial Day, there’s nothing like a tie-dye shirt to get your kids excited about the day ahead! These shirts are simple to make and American as can be. All you need is red and blue dye, some rubber bands, and a plain white t-shirt! By following these simple instructions, you can get every member of your family in matching (but not exact!) shirts that set the mood for the rest of the holiday.
Once everybody’s wearing their newly dyed shirts, it’s time to get onto some more memorable ways of celebration. Gather up red paper plates, red crepe paper, and green and black tissue paper to put together a pot of poppies for a traditional Memorial Day decoration.
Feeding the Family
While you’re enjoying your day at home, these quick bites are a great way to feed your family and keep the family celebration going. To start, whip together these Parmesan tots with dipping sauce to hold everyone over until you get to the main course!
Parmesan Tots with Dipping Sauce
- 3 tbsp. chili sauce
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp. sweet pickles, chopped
- 1 2-lb bag frozen potato tots
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup Parmesan, grated
Follow these steps:
- Combine chili sauce, mayonnaise, mustard, and sweet pickles.
- Toss potato tots, oil, and chili powder on a baking sheet, roasting at package-specified temperature for 25 minutes.
- Toss with Parmesan, roast 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with sauce and enjoy!
Now that you’ve got an appetizer in you, it’s time to prepare for the main course. These sweet and savory honey soy grilled pork chops are full of flavor and as tender as can be. The secret to a juicy pork chop? A meat thermometer. This ensures your chops aren’t overcooked, allowing you to perfectly grill them every single time.
Honey Soy Grilled Pork Chops
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Red pepper flakes
- 4 Pork chops
Follow these steps:
- Mix together honey, soy sauce, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Add pork chops, then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Heat grill over medium-high heat, cooking until seared and cooked through (8 minutes per side). Let rest 5 minutes before serving, and enjoy!
After making a fresh set of tie-dye shirts, potting a fresh bouquet of poppies for your porch, and grilling up a hearty dinner, you’ll be all set for a memory-filled memorial day. After you wrap up dinner, all that’s left is to sit on your porch and enjoy the summer evening air. For more ways to make the most of holidays, be sure to Like Lennar on Facebook!