Winter weather can be magical, especially from the comfort of your warm Lennar home. However, it’s important to make sure you and your home are safe for the coming cold. This checklist can help ensure your family and home are bundled up this winter.
Exterior Home Maintenance
- Inspect your roof for broken or missing shingles, tiles or shakes. Clean any valleys or crickets to divert rain off the roof.
- Adjust your sprinkler system to ensure water is properly utilized. Don’t forget to drain all sprinkler lines and vacuum breakers before freezing conditions set in.
- Clean windows and repair any screens. If you have sliding glass doors, vacuum and lubricate the tracks and then adjust rollers as needed.
Interior Home Maintenance
- If you have a crawlspace, check it to make sure there’s no standing water that could freeze.
- Replace smoke and carbon monoxide alarm batteries.
- If necessary, inspect and repair the following caulked areas:
- Interior – kitchen and bath wet areas, windows, countertops, backsplashes, seals.
- Exterior – sidings, cracks, building penetrations.
Just in case you lose access to basic services such as power and water, make sure your family has a plan in place. Visit ready.gov to help stay prepared. Don’t forget to share your plan with your family, at work and your children’s schools. And be sure to include the pets in the planning process!
Make a Kit
It’s important to have your family’s essential items at the ready in case of an emergency. Preparing them ahead of time can save time and stress when it matters. Maintain a well-stocked kit to last you and your family for a minimum of seven days. Here are a few suggestions to get started:
- Water. We recommend a gallon per person per day for drinking, cooking and sanitation purposes. (ie. A 4-person family would have a total of 28 gallons)
- Food. Non-perishable items such as canned goods, juices and snacks while also being mindful of dietary restrictions.
- Flashlight. Essential if the power goes out. Don’t forget an extra pack of batteries.
- First Aid Kit. Especially important for those with health issues, we suggest keeping written medical instructions with you too. Pack prescription and non-prescription medication. Make sure to include any prescription eyewear/contacts and solutions in the kit as well.
It’s always important to be prepared, especially going into the winter season. By having the essentials at the ready, you can sit back under a cozy blanket by the warm fire and enjoy a glass of eggnog with loved ones. Check out our blog for more helpful tips and tricks each season and see what amazing homes are available near you at lennar.com.